I am a believer in photovoltaics. I believe its a force that will dominate the energy scenario for the next 10-15 years at least. That is until something disruptive comes along. Till then, its got its own little roller coaster ride going on in the markets.
Its dynamics are yet to stabilise, the disorder in the market is making several players nervous and undermining confidence in researchers. When I was in college, margins were healthy, companies blossomed in europe and the most frequent criticism heard was that the systems were too expensive.
Circa 2013 and its a new world order. Most of european manufacturing packed up and things have come to a state where even chinese manufacturers are breaking down under reducing profit margins. Suntech became the latest casuality and an illustration on an energy website aptly summarised the scenario for consumers-
NO WARRANTY. NO GUARANTEE.
Is it a phase or is it here to stay? Can we draw parallels between CMOS and PV anymore? Will there be a big change in the models, what models are currently doing well and which ones flopped? I hope to address such questions in my blog and ride out the wave of photovoltaics. Hang on!
No comments:
Post a Comment